Snowbound


It's snowing. I got here three days ago and it's snowing now, leaving a crusty white cover on the deck and sails, pilings and dock. The heat emanating from inside our floating cave is melting the blanketing attempts on the teak so the dark wood shines with transformed flakes.
The night I arrived back aboard the striped teak and holly floor boards startled me and the formica countertops glared white and bare. The dark oiled wood and faded pink and blue cushions seemed incongruous. I didn't think I was coming back.
But I'm back at least for a bit and the motion of the boat in the slip caught me off guard. Two months away, off a boat, any boat, is the longest I've been absent from the water in almost five years. I was finally getting used to putting away glasses on a shelf in the condo without securing them behind something in case we heeled. But of course condos don't heel. Unless you live on hillsides built up with landfill waste and one day you wake up to find your neighbors bedroom in your living room and what was formerly your street a gaping hole. It happens. In La Jolla. But the condo is on the beach, built on sand... or maybe fill. Mission Bay is manmade. Hmmm. Time to tie down the plates.
But back to the motion. I finally felt the rocking motion that I had grown so used to over the years. The slight rocking motion that would make first time guests sick and sleepy at the dock and make little kids giggle because it felt kind of like the elevator trick where your stomach feels wobbly and weird. The motion I couldn't feel because I was part of the motion by that time. Its nice coming back to something you think is old news and find so many things about it that you had forgotten or not realized or never appreciated.
So now it's snowing. Only three days after the wobbly stomach and gleaming floors caught me unaware. It's white and crisp and new outside. J and I have the heat turned up and the books at the ready but we haven't quite caught up on our time away from each other. Even snowbound, its nice to be back.
Our reunion on the east coast isn't old news quite yet.

Comments