Tumbling Towards Truth



They attack, teeth in bone, cracking and grating along my spine. 

I can feel the careful flesh of my heart tearing, opening, 
 bleeding bright red truths into this world once cradled blue.

I feel my guts exposed, 
my brain disconnected
 as those magnificently small beats of wing 
flutter and flap and vie for an escape.

My mouth opens, 
the words pour onto the sidewalk in front of you. 
I cover my lips, 
the emotions seep through my fingers 
and onto your palms waiting patiently close to my chest.

You catch, 
you hold, 
you embrace 
these truths with me.
You fill my outstretched hands with tumbling truths of your own.

Some sounds can’t be held 
and slink into the space between the earth and concrete, 
between the always was and recently has been. 

Back into the core
they nourish the next radicle of seed, 
the next raging of shark, 
the next word out of your mouth 
straight from your cracking and grating backbone, 
fins and teeth everywhere.

Comments