A good old fashioned dance party


It started on the bow. Actually, it started on the stern, bobbing in life jackets in the current running along the hull, struggling to keep the frosty pina coladas well above the salt water splashes as we paddled one handed and giggling back to the boat.

Every crew needs a ritual and most, I believe, involve copious amounts of frosty beverages upon the guests' departure. Instead of going out on the town, we were having a quiet evening in. Or that's what we planned.
We migrated to the bow in bikinis and damp towels to join the guys watching the sun sink towards the aqua abyss, sipping from condensation flecked bottles.
That's when the music started.

A bright yellow boom box of the industrial waterproof sort sat on the forecastle, showering us with classic rock or pop or indie, depending on whose turn it was to play DJ. The volume was cranked up at a rate inversely proportional to the darkening horizon. Orion and Venus made themselves known overhead and the dance party began.
I have never been able to sit still when there's good music blaring and a lively crowd. My foot starts tapping sending energy upwards and soon I can't stand it any longer.

I have to dance.

I sipped my cider between frantic bouts of swing dancing or attempting childhood fad dances like the Running Man (ouch- some dance moves should not be attempted by someone in their 30s after a 20 year hiatus of trying to jump through the loop made by an arm and leg. Luckily I realized this particular move was a bad idea before I face planted on the anchor windlass) or good old grooving out, arms flailing, legs kicking, hair flying in the warm breeze.

The toilet scrubbing and dish washing and Can I Get You Another Drink job irritations melted away. I mean, how many people can jump off the top of their office into tepid sapphire water then dance in dripping shorts until the wee hours with an amazing group of co-workers aka second family aka friends?

There's even a disco ball in the engine room but the view is not quite the same...

Comments