Down the Shadowy Hatch


“Adjustable wrench. And ¾ socket. Fuck those guys.”

I hand Captain L. the tools and nod in agreement. “Those guys” from the boatyard are now 700 miles south of our stern and are the reason we are tossing about the ocean without the ability to steer. They repaired the rudder this winter but weren’t necessarily the most fastidious of workers. Fuck em. But cursing them doesn’t help our situation now. So L. is crammed in the stern compartment of the boat where the rudder post and steering cables do their magic. Or in this instant, don’t, because something slipped out of place and now has to be jacked up and tightened. But even with loosening and tightening, hammering and shivving, something’s still wrong and the steering quadrant is hitting a bolt and preventing the rudder from going to port so here we are doing circles to starboard 100 miles off the coast of Jersey. 

Our autopilot quit working on the second stormy night and the navigation instruments keep shutting off at crucial moments. Half of the navigation lights shorted out. We lost the dinghy that was being towed behind. I lost my favorite hat overboard. L. continually tells stories about the last delivery where the engine crapped out. What else can go wrong? He wonders if the rudder has slipped down (if it slips all the way down and out of the boat it means we start sinking) but quickly abandons that thought at closer inspection. 

My first thought is: I am so glad this didn’t happen last night when the wind was blowing 35 knots and the seas were choppy 10 footers and the squalls dumped rain on us for hours straight and if we had been spun around in circles it would have been a Very Bad Scene. 
My second thought is: SeaTow! If we can’t get this fixed then we can get towed into port. I’m pretty sure they come out this far.

“Crow bar. Hammer. This better fucking work.”

I am looking down into the compartment full of sturdy metal plates and tubes and cables. The aluminum hull of the boat curves to meet the deck where I sit, a pile of tools next to me glinting in the sun. The breeze is light rendering our sails useless, the swells are gentle but still cause the boat to sway with every glassy crest, the smell of the briny water of the North Atlantic teases us about how close to port we have come. We are just below the shipping channels of New York Harbor and the chatter of cargo ships and fishing boats dominates the radio. 

And here we float. 

I want to help somehow so I hand down tools and give words of encouragement. I don’t talk of sinking or SeaTow. I ask questions about the mechanisms in the shadows and try to absorb as much as I can about fixing quadrants. I want this to be fixed quickly but I know that these things take time. The old “hit it with a hammer” or “just caulk it” or “just wait and see if it fixes itself” solutions aren’t usually actual solutions. They are ways to put off the inevitable repair or replacement or abandonment of something that isn’t working. 

In my own personal life I often avoid the real work of sitting down with the parts and pieces, taking the time to tune into the true damage at hand. Like my experience with a broken transmission whose insides were decimated by vibration: it wasn’t because of a faulty transmission but due to the engine mounts not being secured properly to the boat. It was a foundational problem, not a defect in mechanics. No matter how many times the transmission is replaced, if you don’t get to the core problem, the health of the whole system is compromised. 

“It’s not perfect, but hopefully it will get us in.” 

L. climbs out through the hatch and wipes sweat from his sunburned forehead. He’s grumbling but I can tell he’s proud of his repair. I carry the tools over the deck and down below to the canvas bag where they will wait patiently for another breakdown. This being a boat, that won’t be long. 

I step out on deck, look out to the blue sky empty horizon, and decide that I don’t want to jury rig my life anymore. I don’t want to immediately call for someone to come and save me when there is really no danger, no need to be saved. I am ready to break out the tool box and sit with the problem until I can truly see what is broken. I am ready to tinker and try different angles, different tools and call in the experts for help if need be. Storming away from my problems hasn’t worked so far, so I’m ready to turn around, lower myself into that shadowy hatch, and get to work. I am ready to roll up my sleeves and get greasy in this life.

I take the helm and steer us north. Back towards land, back towards “real life” where I will get a chance to pull out my tools one by one and tinker and try.  

And steer this life of mine. I cannot rely on Autopilot anymore.  

Comments