Manufactured Heartbeats



Fingertips pushing the hands of time

I move the hours forward
I dance with the space between tiny minutes

A click
A chime
A heartbeat behind dusty glass
Room becomes womb

Cradled in the mechanical drumbeat I sleep and wake and sleep

I am held by the rhythmic chanting of this little clock 
clucking its stories to me as I dream

A simple key can jumpstart the measured passage of life!

Eight bells and back to one
Again and again
and again

Will I forget to wind? 
When will my hours will slow and stop? 
When will I no longer be able to twist and feel cool metal on swirled fingertips?

Anxiety grows: 
the bell will tangle in levers and gears inside 
and I will not wake to do the very important tasks that I must do before
 it all
 we all
this all
 rusts and seizes

The chanting returns me to the core
Listen! it rants

I do
I listen to the spaces in between the seconds
 and dance once more

I continue to wind, 
my heart fluttering to keep up with the tick tick tick of this clock 
in my head
within this room
of this world 

Comments