The Sea Within


I feel the details crunch, shift, sink under my bare feet. 
Along the water's edge the moments drift in and out on the incoming tide. 

I catch words in the waves, I let my voice tumble into the sand and bury itself like a crab. 
Here on the edge of the world, there is nothing but this step into the damp, this wrist catching the sun, these eyes searching for fish and mountains. 
I can breathe here. 

I scoop up mama ocean into my hands and kiss her elusiveness. 
I am unsteady and seasick, I am whole and more than whole. 
My bones are sandstone and my skin a glassy bay at dusk. 
My blood floods salty and bright as the polished rocks under my feet. 
Skin swells and lips burn and it is hard to see the horizon with all this light between here and there. 
Back to the wind, push me forward, push me home. 
I can feel the sea within. 

Comments