Back to School Outfit


I had it all planned out: cute jumper-ish green dress with the stretchy brown sparkly belt, brown Earth boots, a little pink on the lips, a little copper on the eyes, hair down. My first day of school outfit was going to show them that I was hip with a splash of hippie thrown in. That I was confident but fun. That I wasn't high maintenance but obviously gave a damn about my appearance. Or at least my hygiene. I did put on perfume.
Gulps of tea, distracted journal writing, and glancing at my watch made the morning inch by. Minutes before running out the door, I could just tell it was all wrong.
A dress?? On the first day of school? How overeager can you look? I mean, a sparkly brown belt? You think you're going dancing?
So I ran up two flights of stairs (my new digs are in a renovated attic room, sloped ceilings and crawl spaces, a futon mattress on the floor), and ripped off my dress, threw on a pair of jeans and my favorite top- the one with raggedy cloth and appliqued butterflies and a low-cut back with little ropes crisscrossing the gap.
You know, fun but not too dressy.
I am a serious documentary non-fiction writing student after all.
Most of us were in jeans. I can say "us" and "we" now that I am a part of the group. Not that we all need to be the same. But I'm once again part of a school. In school.
I love being a student.
And now that the first day is over, no dress code applies.

Comments