Apples and Pumpkins

I'm biting into a crisp Empire, the juice dancing down my throat, a cup of pumpkin pie spice coffee nestled in the cup holder of the car, the leaves now brownish red and burnt orange and faded yellow, the sky a magnificent blue, speeding through the fields and forests of Cumberland County.
I'm happy. (but) Its cold. It snowed Sunday night and it's October and I cannot believe that rain turned to snow turned to flurries turned towards thoughts of winter and boots and woolen scarves scratching at my face.
But it is still October and the snow is gone and the sun is out and I am driving through the crunchy leaves and wood smoke filled air and I can't stop saying, "Isn't this beautiful." Or "I love it here." And I am not just saying it to make my guests feel more welcome or like they are sharing a secret or because I don't feel that they are vocalizing their love for the place enough.
It simply is beautiful and I simply do love it.
The sun and the pumpkins and the pears hanging heavy on skyward stretching tree limbs and smoke curling out of brick chimneys and twenty somethings holding cups of steaming coffee and each others' hands.
It's October and even though it snowed, I still love October in Maine.

Comments