Chortling in the Galley

I've always been the quiet one. Sometimes its mistaken for stupidity or sadness or just plain being a boring person, but I have always loved to listen. Process. Capture. Replay. Over the years I have forced myself to speak up. Engage. Remember. But I still love to listen to others who have a gift for wit and eloquence and just plain hilarious shit spewing from their lips.

I am the least outspoken girl on this boat, but only because my fellow stews have me laughing so hard that I can't catch my breath to speak.
Tonight we served dinner on the middle (there are three) aft deck overlooking a bustling touristy waterfront in the Bahamas. Dressed in our tight pencil skirts and embroidered smart looking tops, we grow giddy as the night wears on. We've been up all day serving pina coladas and Pimms cups, cheese plates and Caesar salads. We even had a rolly jaunt into the sea, glasses crashing and orchids toppling in the steep whitehorsed waves, guests oblivious to us starfished in the salon holding up lamps and sculptures. Now its formal candles and polished silver on the table dinner time and we nearly spill the first course gazpacho for laughing so hard.

Inside jokes, nicknames, witty comebacks, and misunderstood questions breed hilarity.

It is hard to capture laughter in words.
But as long as I keep laughing as much and often as I have in the last month, words don't matter and listening is just fine with me- boring, stupid, or otherwise.

Comments