Prince Charles Perez



It's not often that I give people money for talking with me. In fact, it usually irritates me to distraction when I am wandering around a new town and some man volunteers to be my "guide." But as Prince Charles Perez would want me to say, my short but sweet experience with the historian of the port was nearly un-Belize-able.

You see, I have been dubbed by Prince Charles himself, a tear in his eye and a manic fluttering of ordaining hands working their magic, an official goodwill ambassador to the country of Belize because of my exceptional memorization of his historical lesson as he walked me back to the dock in the early afternoon heat.

He explained the etymological origin of the name Belize: a Mayan goddess of exceptional beauty by the name of Belikini. It's also the origin of the name for that tasty beer they brew. He spouted off dates and names and events in as enthusiastic a manner as I've ever seen. He would stop me in the middle of the road to stress a certain point, "Why, Jenny, why would the Mayan descendants name their country 'muddy water?'" He stood with a furrowed brow as he refereed the common explanation for the name Belize. "That doesn't make sense now does it?" he said as he practically bent over in disgust at the cultural misunderstanding the English made so very long ago.

Reaching the gates of the Radisson (where I would soon after settle into a chair under vine covered branches and radio the boat to come pick me up), I was warmly bid farewell with a hug and a lock in. This, again, is not my regular practice to hug guides on sea side streets, but Prince Charles, well, you got to see him, hear him, laugh with him, to Belize him.

Comments

Unknown said…
PCP is alive and well...and still pursuing his royal duties in BC...what an amazing character and expert showman !
Unknown said…
PCP is alive and well...and still attending to his royal duties on the streets of BC...what an amazing character and expert showman !
lillipilli83 said…
Met this gent today - 5th December 2014.
Was googling to check his story out as it did seem 'unbelizable' :)
Unknown said…
Met him today and he told me I must google him! He is amazing!
Unknown said…
The first day I met him was near lighthouse. Prince Charles Perez was an historians and former librarian he is very excellent with Belize history and also dubbed me to be great ambassador for my country Belize. Very knowledgeable and friendly person you should try to meet him.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
We just met him today and he's an amazing, fun and enthusiastic character! Was a delight meeting him
Anonymous said…
Just spent an hour with him 5/18/19 Long Live The Prince!!
Gal said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gal said…
Even now during the coronavirus he's still alive and well and gave me that same history lesson. He also explained to me the Belize flag. A lot going on there. Then we stood and saluted the flag as he proudly sang the national anthem.

I was more curious about his own life story than the country's. He shared with me some tidbits.

It was a nice experience.
Anonymous said…
Just met him a few minutes ago. What a very interesting man and he liked my cigars too!