Living Diagonally

Braced between the wall abutting the engine (room) and my propane stove I gently grasp the oven door and pull.
Not too hard as that would send the casserole inside hurtling towards my face peering into the blue flame lit darkness. I reach for the glass dish, my inadequate slightly damp towel as a makeshift mitt precariously close to the fire below. That would be it: I would be knocked in the head with the eggy french toast behind thick glass and then the slippery half cooked creamy mess would slide down my front onto my bare legs finally resting with a burning bang on my shoeless feet.

Pulling anything out of the oven requires a certain amount of skill and timing (patience) as the boat rocks back and forth or fish tails while maintaining a constant 20 degree angle.

Life on a diagonal makes baking, chopping, basically cooking in general pretty challenging. Yet when I come up the companionway with a steaming bowl of pasta and settle into a windward spot on the combing and see nothing but ocean 360 degrees, living on an angle for eight days is worth every burned finger and chopped vegetable sliding across the countertop.

Comments