Seattle II

(so i dont have a pic of a cafe yet, so the space needle will have to do. Pretend its artwork in a cafe)

I don’t know if I could spend a whole winter camped out at cafes in Seattle, but the shear volume and cuteness of the café scene makes me want to try. I’ve always loved coffeehouses, but theres something about a rainy day and a hot latte that go too perfectly together. Add a good book or a great friend, its nirvana. So in my limited wanderings and slightly melancholy mood, my favorite places include:

The Victrola on 15th- Beautiful art, newly released music, hipsters, tasty soy latte with a leaf design swirled into the froth. Cool shops nearby and a natural health store next door. Millionaires row mansions and ramshackle bungalows on Capitol Hill. I could sit and read all day. The sandwiches are great too.

Joe Coffee Bar on East Roy/East Broadway- I felt like I stepped into an English cottage. Not that I’ve ever been in an English cottage. But the narrow wooden balcony, bright green walls, and sturdy tables and chairs stuffed into a Tudor building charmed me even before I sipped my Morning Glory Chai latte. Yummers. I didn’t try the homemade crepes, but judging from the salivating patrons queuing up, I bet they’re good.

Café on the Ave- University area- We stayed for a couple of days in the U of W area and went out for dessert and coffee to this place with high ceilings and ridiculously generous apple pie portions. Of course it was filled with mostly students, but they didn’t look too disturbed as my mom and I sat sipping cups of joe and stuffing our old faces.

Tullys- I have to mention the chain only because my mom claims to have had the best café mocha of her life from the one in the Ballard area.

I pass a new coffeehouse on every walk but can only drink so much coffee. To be continued...

Comments