Perfect day

Days go so quickly. I guess its that whole 15 days til the Solstice thing. So its nice when the days are full of lovely things.
Like having a cup of tea and a spoonful (or three) of almond butter before walking through the quiet Sunday morning streets of Pacific Beach to yoga.
Yoga! Muscles stretched and pulled awake and that little essential oil massage at the end shavasana that will always keep me coming back for more. How our bodies crave human touch!

Eat an apple and jump on the bus to the La Jolla farmers market just up the coast. I am in heaven! So many beautiful vegetables and succulent citrus and persimmons (how do you eat it? I ask) and vendors with garlic-y greens and fresh tamales. Flowers! Orchids and sunflowers and holly with bright red berries.
"Sister, have a sample," the tall African man with a lilting accent calls over to me. He smiles as he creates a heaping "sample" bowl: simmered black eye peas, collard greens with avocado oil and garlic, steamed millet, shitake mushrooms in a lightly spiced tomato sauce. "It took me a while to get people used to this simple food," he says as I devour the intensely fresh flavors. "They have their sushi or whatever fancy during the week, and then they come here, just once a week. Plain simple food." I swallow my last morsel and tell him that although it may be simple, it is absolutely delicious. I order a mound of food to go.
"See you next time!"
I couldn't even wait to get home before digging into the steaming deliciousness. Its the type of food that makes you feel good just eating it because you know it is so good for you. Collard greens, mushrooms, beans, millet.

Back on the bus on the ten minute ride home next to the beach.

I fell asleep on the couch. Didn't mean to, it just happened in that Sunday afternoon with the paper sort of way.

A quick 20 minute swim in the pool, and now chimes and the sound of skateboarders on the boardwalk and planes overhead through my open window.

This is the California I enjoy.

Comments