Under my skirt

When I was in elementary school and it was a skirt wearing kind of day, it was also a shorts kind of day. As in, shorts under the skirt. Because, I mean really, you simply can't play on the monkey bars or do the dead-mans-drop off the high bars or really even play kickball wearing a skirt. So I'd shimmy into the bikers shorts that my sisters used for gymnastics. I liked the black Lycra, slightly shimmery ones with black and white candy cane stripes down the side. If those weren't available, lavender or bubble gum pink would have to do.
But its not like anyone was going to really see them anyway. I mean, like, they shouldn't be looking at my underwear. Or where my underwear normally would be but I had the sense to cover myself with bike shorts.

Today I am wearing yoga stretch pants (no Lycra, no shimmer) under my skirt. Its for utility once again, but this time it is about warmth and literally covering my ass: on days when the wind rips the fronds off massive date palms and tosses them onto passing SUVs, when the froth from the waves can be felt on the boardwalk, when street signs rumble and bend, it is the time to wear stretch pants under a wrap around skirt.

Although the thought of doing a dead-man's-drop (or at the very least a cherry drop- you start the trick hanging down, knees over the bar, then let go, landing on your feet. with the dmd, you start sitting on top of the bar, then drop your body backwards and flip off) is slightly tempting. And I feel kind of tough, like I can do anything with both a skirt and pants.

On the other hand with my 31 year old waning agility, I think I'll leave the dead-man's-drop to the 3rd grader with hot pink bike shorts peeking out from under her little jean skirt. If you can't see the bike shorts, you'll recognize her by the scrapes on her hands and knees, the tousled hair, and the smart-ass look on her cherubic if slightly dirty face.

Comments