Silvery thoughts



Wind whispers over the water
Moonlight flutters toward me
The rush of silver in my ears
I see patterns in the ripples

I am 7 splashing in a pool all day, every day, all summer
I am 18 floating on a longboard, letting the swells push by, the sun setting into grey and orange
I am 21 falling in love under sails, making love on teak planks
I am 29 and yearning to sink my hands into soil yet not able to tear myself away from the ebb and flow of salt and seaweed
I am 33 finding solace in each ocean wave as my course weaves and wavers
I am 36 and now dipping my feet into water at the base of islands that know me, welcome me back with dolphin sighs and the tears of squalls

The wind sings over the century plants and careens through swaying masts
It brings the moonlight into my waiting lap
The crickets recite love poems to the whales
And I listen for the stars
I am all these ages, all these people, all the in between

Comments